So - here we go. Introduction. Who am I what am I doing here and all that.
I created this blog to post my thoughts about everything Potterish and beyond, and to invite any other potterhead or fairyfriend or cupcakeeater out there to come share with me. I promise I will welcome everyone as long as they are friendly. You may come here even if you do not wish to bite Snape on the ankle - you may even come here if you wish to yell at Sirius or put down Flaco (Alfonso Curaón) - although those two last exercises will be at your own risk... :giggle:
I came from somewhere in the fandom before. So I want to start out with my background story, because I hope that by telling, some of the old wounds will finally heal, both for me and possibly for some who read. I want you to know when you read this story of my Leaky Experience, that everything written here is from my point of view. I do not claim to be objective, but I will try to be fair.
It will come in several instalments, here is chapter one:
I came into the fandom after the fourth book was out, but long before the fifth. I was very unfamiliar with online communities, but was a fascinated lurker. When I first signed up with a dorky screen name (no, won't tell you which or where) I was so scared you would think computers have a boxing glow hidden, ready to spring every time a newbie hits the "send" button.
Then I discovered The Leaky Cauldron. Everyone was linking to them, because they were the ones who got the news first. They were always updated with everything Potterish. They were very good at separating the shit from the cinnamon as we say in my language. They were witty and friendly and showing just the right slight hint of selfirony. They seemed to be grown ups. My first online home.
And then came their comments feature.... I will never do that experience justice in words. All the great people. Lilly. Clare. Lord Fishcake. Martje. Nick Rhein, our darling Scabberino running around in the pub raising havoc. The best of friends.... Too many to mention. Everyone who participated in those days may consider themselves honoured, you all made it what it was.
Go to their archives and check it out, if they haven't deleted it all by now - especially March 2004, right before the launch of the third movie. Read the comment threads attached to the news entries, and you will perhaps understand what I mean - except being part of it, not being able to log out and go to sleep because someone might post something new after you left, is very different from reading it all long time afterwards. The days of the War of the Pink Hoodie. The Kill Cuarón Squads and me as the self appointed head and sole member of the Cuarón Defense Squad. N0 coincidence that this was my first ever (selfmade) avatar
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
HI Torill,
I remember those heady days. I have checked and for the most part, the comment threads are indeed still there. I remember finding a place where intelligent and fun bunch of adults were posting in the threads, from all over the world. I remember wanting to be there constantly lest one missed an interesting or funny or bizarre conversation. Discussing everything including Loofah. I made friends there, people I still correspond with even if we don't frequent Leaky much anymore. I wasn't as erudite as the rest of you, but enjoyed reading your comments. Even if I didn't care much for Cuaron.;-)
Hi Cassie!!! So glad to see you here - hope you will keep popping in! (Even if you don't like Cuarón ;-)
Oh yes - Loofah! Had forgotten that one.... those were the days, weren't they!
Caramek Snidget anyone ? *wink*
Post a Comment