Thursday, 12 July 2007

Closure of the Leaky Experience: Open Letter to Melissa, Part One

I have spent the larger parts of my spare time the last few weeks reading and re-reading old mails, comments, all the other blogs out there - even searching for old threads at the Leaky archives.... and pondering over my own reactions. What telling the story now and reading the other stories told have touched inside. Some of the wounds go deeper still then I realised, and the strength the hurt still holds is astounding and somewhat unexpected. This is the reason why telling this story took so much longer than I thought it would when I started this blog on the 12th of May - two months ago already. And there I was thinking that I could finish the narrative of how I ended up here and all that happened on the road in just a few weeks...

But now I am here, finally, ready to end the telling of this narrative for my part by a final open letter to Melissa. Melissa Anelli is the current webmistress at the Leaky Cauldron, and the one who has been in charge for as long as I have been involved there. She is not directly responsible for everything that has happened and for all that anyone has done or not done, but she is the leader, a position she also claims and recognizes for herself, no matter how reluctantly she may or may not have originally accepted it. And as the leader, the final responsibility must be placed at her door. If anyone is to assume the responisibility for change, it has to be her. This is how it is in any organisation.

I will have to post this letter in two separate entries, to have enough space to say all I want to say. Here is the first instalment:

Dear Melissa
Contrary to what you may think right now, my object with everything written in this blog is not and has never been to "tear Leaky down". I would never want that. I would like to quote again the beginning of my farewell letter to you:

I want to thank you for all the wonderful times I have had because of Leaky. It started as you know in the old Leaky comment threads. They used to be a very important part of my life, an outlet, a refuge, an asylum and an endless invigorating source of energy. I couldn't believe it when I was invited to be part of the team of the new forum a year ago, and the first weeks of January 2005 were among the happiest times of my life, when we were all planning the new forum together, and being so full of dreams of how great it would be... This will always be true, and no matter what, I will forever be grateful to Leaky for giving me this, it was more important to me than you will ever know! Thank you Melissa, for enabling this, and to Nick and Sue too, who were part of that first period, both the comment threads and the first days of the forum. You will all have a special place in my heart forever because of this, and the term "The Leaky Cauldron" will always mean something truly special for me!

This is still true for me, every single word of it. In fact, the reason why the conflict with you still hurts is precisely because I used to love Leaky so much and it was so special to me. It still is, in many ways.

I also want to quote here something I wrote in the comments on Ians blog:


I do not wish to "tear Leaky down" as you say Ian. On the contrary, in fact. Leaky was once a fantastic fansite, the very best, and it still has that potential. It was my first home on the net. I wouldn't want to see it sink. It is wonderful for me that so many of you here state in your comments how much you love the forum I was once allowed to participate in creating. It means we must have done some things right. I don't want it shut down, I want it to blossom. I want to see the old spirit resurrected and live on. Whatever I am posting here is not meant as an attack on Leaky or its devoted members. It is an attack on some of the actions of the current admins, in the hope that they may finally learn from their mistakes. If they could only realise just how fantastic their staff and their membership are, if they could only learn to truly value them and treat them with respect, instead of seeing them as vehicles for their own recognition....that would be all it took. They do not need to change all their ways. But in the sadly all to likely event that they will learn nothing and change nothing, I also hope that posting our stories here can serve as a warning for others, whether they want to be a member of the Leaky staff or not. So that they may be able to protect themselves from harm. That is all this is about. It is not about "everything that happens at Leaky is crap".

I repeat this here now because I want to make it very clear where I am coming from in writing this. This place is not a general "Bash Leaky blog"

Like I said in the quote above, I have written about my Leaky Experience to present an alternative version of events, so that past and present staffers of Leaky may have an alternative narrative and an alternative version of events to read, in order to be able to compare and judge for themselves. But also to heal my own wounds, because I admit that I have been wounded.

And some of my deepest wounds from the Leaky Experience come from you Melissa. But I think it is very possible that you are not fully aware of this. I think you are perhaps not fully aware of what people may come to see as implicit promises in your behaviour, both as the webmistress of the site and in your talent for making people feel welcomed, appreciated and wanted in a fabulous warm and vibrant HP community of friends on the net. And the hurt that may follow after this when you later seem to ignore people, allow them to be abused or even lash out in ways you yourself maybe see as only being a bit too defensive when dealing with the unreasonable or obtrusive among your staffers. I will try and explain how I have experienced this below.

Let me first state here in way of a disclaimer that I do not believe for one second that you are an evil sadist, callously and cynically setting out to hurt people. I do not believe this of any of the Leaky admins, and I certainly do not believe this of you. I believe that you may be at least interested in hearing my point of view to the full, even if you after that might want to discard all of it as being of no consequence.

Because I do choose to believe that you are a person able to understand points of view different from your own, if you would only take the time to listen, and not automatically jump to the conclusion that people are trying to attack or offend you - or attack or be disloyal to "Leaky" - when they speak their mind, or give an opinion contrary to your own.

I think this last tendency of yours played a large part in the conflict between you and Therese and me. And from what I hear from the experiences of others, it seems to play a large part in several other conflicts at Leaky as well, and also in the bitterness that may result in people leaving. So I am going to go through your reactions in your conflict with us here, and explain how that felt and was interpreted from our point of view, in way of example. Yes, it is personal. All of this is. It is not to be avoided anymore, after all that has transpired. If you don't know what I mean, read again all the entries of this blog, and the comments to the various entries over at Ian's blog.

Since it has taken me so long to be ready for this letter, and there is now a timegap of some consequence between this entry and the earlier ones containing my narrative, a short re-cap of this conflict is perhaps in order (for the longer versions, see earlier instalments, especially The Therese Appreciation Chapter , Suddenly the Glove Hits , The Lies and Corruption Continues.):
  • Therese worked as head of the original Essay Project - what is now Scribbulus. This as approved of by you. I, among several others, worked with her on that project
  • This project originated out of the Lounge, and Nick, as admin for the Lounge, was also the admin Therese related to. She received nothing but support and friendly reassurances from him about the work being done.
  • Then Doris was made site wide project overseer, and Therese was asked to co-operate with her in that capacity. Originally, Therese welcomed this.
  • Shortly before Christmas 2005, Therese contacted you to get a clarification of her role in the project
  • Sometime during the exchanges of emails over this, Therese received a pm from Doris, where Nick was cited as saying (to Doris) that he really thought they ought to get rid of Therese. Doris told Therese that you had also received a copy of this pm.
  • Then Therese "up and left" - wrote a resignation letter she also sent as a pm to her fellow staffers, and left Leaky for good.
  • Shortly afterwards, Nick contacted me to explain what had happened. He said that they had wanted to get rid of Therese because she was difficult to work with, yelled at her staff in pms and that nobody liked her but me. The evidence for this was several complaining pms her staffers were supposed to have written to Doris. He admitted to me that it was Doris who had told him this, and that he had not seen any of it.
  • With Nick's consent, I approached all the staffers of the then Essay Project. They all denied to have ever complained about Therese to anyone, and instead claimed to like her.
  • I collected all the evidence for this, and sent it to you with a copy to all the admins and the old Leaky staffers
  • Then nothing happened. No reaction or answer from you that we were made aware of.
  • Because Therese felt that her work for the EP had been wrongfully appropriated when she had been scheemed against in this way, and because we wanted to try and use our work elsewhere, we wrote you a letter and asked you to withdraw our work - our intellectual property - from the Essay Project
  • Then we received one of the angriest and rudest letters I have ever read, starting like this: Never, in nearly five years on Leaky, have I seen such petty, horrible behavior.
One of the things that really hurt in this - and still does - was the incredible discrepance between your reactions to the two letters with my signature under them, that you recieved concerning this matter. I had expected something close to the sentence above to be your immediate, spontaneous reaction when you received evidence suggesting that one of the volunteers who had devoted so much of her time and love and working capacity for your site, had been made the victim of an ugly backstabbing campaign. But no - your anger and your outrage only came when someone who had worked for you earlier claimed ownership to their own work. To my claim that one of your staff had been the victim of ugly lies against her person, you found either of us worthy of no reaction whatsoever.

I wonder if it is possible for you to really understand how this hurt, and how disappointed I was. I felt let down in the most basic of ways.

When I first joined your staff, you were incredibly welcoming and supportive. I felt that you were a person who really cared about us. When I mailed you and was so unhappy and felt so guilty because I needed to take a break from modding for a while, you immediately came back to me and reassured me that I could of course take a hiatus whenever I wanted to. You said that just the fact that I wrote and told you about my problems proved to you that I was the kind of person you wanted on your staff. That meant a lot to me. When Lilly told you that she had to sometimes be away because of her health problems, you were equally supportive, in a very warm, personal manner, begging Lilly to keep you updated about her situation or else you would be a wreck from worry. We really believed that. And do you remember that little troll who got so mad at me because I modded her that he/she registered under a new account with the username ihatetorill and started to abuse me all over the forums? Again, you showed your great concern, went out of your way to reassure me that nobody would be allowed to treat any of your staff like that, and you even checked with Lilly whom you knew was my close friend to be sure I was ok.

So, I really did believe you cared about the welfare your volunteer staff. All my personal experience pointed to that. Yes, I was sometimes mightily frustrated over some of your priorities and decisions and styles of leadership - what I have discussed in earlier entries here under the headings Absence and Micromanagement. But this is on another level altogether. This is what it would have been possible to also discuss under the headings growing pains and a site run by amateurs.

But when I realised what had happened to Therese, when I compared what Nick told me to what the former EP staff told me and saw how a pattern of something very ugly seemed to appear - then I trusted you to be the person to go to for help and protection. I felt absolutely convinced that you would never want to accept that kind of conduct from any of your admins, never want any of your devoted volunteers to be subjected to ugly lies behind her back to get rid of her. I felt confident that you would at least look into the matter - if you had wanted to talk to the people involved directly yourself, and not only take my letter as sufficient evidence to act upon, that would have been more than ok with me. In fact, that was something I expected and was ready for because it would have been very reasonable.

I never expected that you would do nothing. Say nothing, just let everything continue as before. But instead yell and throw insults at us when we later came back and asked you to not use our work.

I am still trying to understand this, still having conversations with you in my head over it. Pathetic? Perhaps .... but that is how much it hurt.

To be continued....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll add some snippets concerning the things you write about hree once I've read the second part of your "Open Letter to Melissa", maybe I won't (most probably I'll have nothing to add).

But I want to say this already now: at that time obviously I didn't realize properly just how hurt you felt, and I hadn't exopected these old scars still to hurt today. Sorry. My fault.

A fault which is probably due to my assuming that other people have the same sort of Dragon's skin as I don before entering on voyages like that one.

But as/if your reflexes don't make you use Dragon gide as your normal clothing when leaving the circle of those of your friends whom you know face by face: on the other hand, I guess, this is a good sign: people like some of the LL BigOnes seem to be really rare amongst your real life acquaintances - which is prfobably a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typos in the previous comment. I hope it is intelligible nevertheless.

Torill said...

Thank you Heinrich - and yes I did understand the meaning behind the typos perfectly well.

Don't blame yourelf for not realising how much I was hurt - I did, after all, do my best to hide it!!

It is not that I am completely naive and expect nothing bad from nobody, ever - I think - it was more that I really had expected Melissa to behave differently. I never saw it coming.

And no - I don't really have much of a dragonhide....have never developed that one. But, doing what I am doing now, placing the conversations in my head out here isntead, is very healing, and strengthening. Should have allowed myself to speak up earlier.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are in any way pathetic, Torill. I know that I share many of your same frustrations. Hey - no one wanted things to come to the points that they have. We all had the same goals and it is so frustrating even still that things like disagreeing mean "disloyalty" and questioning what happens makes those who question out to be the bad guys.

As Heinrich said, there's a reason that our friends aren't like these people.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

Torill said...

Thank you Gina, both for your congratulations and your support. It is precisely because I know that I am not alone, not the only one who has had these experiences, that I see any point in telling the story.

Lilly said...

I am sad to say that I was in the same position as you Heinrich, I didn't realise just how much all of this was still affecting Torill.

But I started to understand when she and I were talking about it a few weeks ago - as I said to her, it is kind of like she buried the body before the autopsy was done. (a rather gruesome description that I am not sure she was overly happy with, but I stand by it!)

I don't think Torill is alone in still hurting over the things that were done and said - and once again I applaud her for speaking out.
Silence became an epidemic for those who were hurt, and I hope that others can now see that they were not alone in what happened to them, and that it will help them as well.

Gina wrote: "We all had the same goals and it is so frustrating even still that things like disagreeing mean "disloyalty" and questioning what happens makes those who question out to be the bad guys."

That is, for me, the absolute key point to this story ~ and the stories of so many others. The fact that if you dared to question or (heaven forbid) disagree with Melissa or Doris you were automatically in danger of being seen to be attacking them personally or as a threat to Leaky.
It is so hard for me to get my head around why they felt/feel that way.
I always thought that our "Loyalty" was to what we felt was best for the site and the fans, not what was convenient, or was best for Melissa and Co's egos.

Lilly.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lilly for the explanation. Now I understand it far better. Or at least I thing I do.

Yours and Torill's loyality lay with the cause: HP, Fandom, Benefits for Fandom, etc... .
Some other people's loyality was with a project (LL).
As long as according to the opinion of all of those participating the project sereved thze cause: all was well. When you wanted to change the project beacuse of the cause the problems did start. Because some people were (and probably are) attached to that project not only because of the cause; which leads to different priorities.
If the cause is paramount: a project serving it should be cahnged in any way that helps the cause, and if that's not possible: the project should be abandoned.
If the project is paramount: the project has to be protected even if that means doing disservice to the cause.

The mails I received from Melissa when we decided to try to do something else were written in a way that was surprising to me, but they didn't deeply hurt me. After all: she will have been intelligent enough to see that we were trying to set up something that might become a something that would have been in competition to some parts of LL if we had succeeded.

If there is something whcih still hurts me: it is the report about Therese having gone which was in the EP backroom: the arrogance of trying to make us believe that nothing really important had happened, that life could just go on, that Therese was of no real importance to the project. FRom that moment onwards I've never been comfortable again in LL. And my opinion about those responsible for running LL changed dramatically.

Torill said...

I know exactly what you are saying heinrich - and that thread in the EP back room hurt me too - but I never saved any of the posts and do not have access back there anymore, so could not document anything from it. That is the reason why I have not touched upon it here. But that thread and how Therese's leaving was dealt with in front of the rest of the staff, was when I too started contemplating leaving for real. I began to realise how LL was not a very safe place for its staff.

Anonymous said...

Torill, lots of thanks for your response!

As you write: "and that thread in the EP back room hurt me too - but I never saved any of the posts and do not have access back there anymore, so could not document anything from it":
I have no copy of that document either, but part of it was quoted im my "good bye letter" to the EP team. For documentation purposes: I'll quote it here ("as is"):

----- QUOTE STARTS HERE:
Since Therese's departure I have become increasingly uneasy and unhappy about what is happening here. I'll try to explain. (What follows are [b]my[/b] views only: please read what follows as if there were at least one "IMO" in every sentence and every clause.)




It started with some statements by Melissa, dated 2006-12-31:
[quote]
She quit abruptly in the middle of that process, [b]at a point where we expected the next email to bring all parties to a friendly, reasonable and productive solution[/b].
[/quote]
(my highlighting)

I read this to mean that the perception by the TLC Admins was that a compromise had almost been reached.
But then, at then at the end of the next sentence:
[quote]
... for many reasons that became clear during the passing of these e-mails, [b]we decided not to contest her decision[/b].
[/quote]
(my highlighting)

Well, given Therese's importance, and her (really good) work for the EP, and what she did to keep the atmosphere here relaxed enough in spite of the prelaunch stress, and her emotional as well as intellectual intelligence, and her being the de facto founder of the project, and her being [i]de facto[/i] the uncontested leader of our group (as it was then, as I perceived it then): I would have expected that each and every possible effort would have been made to bring her back, especially when positions obviously were near enough and the atmosphere was still good enough to expect reconciliation by the next email. I was and am more than shocked that in a situation like this it was decided not to do anything to make her reconsider her decision to leave.

Then there is a rather cryptic passage in the same posting:
[quote]
natural shakedown of responsibility as a power play
[/quote]

So sorry, but: neither do I know what this is about, nor, perhaps more important: nor do I like these metaphors: The EP is about founding a journal that should be as good as possible. Full stop. It is not about power. Regarding struggles about how to run the EP as struggles about power misses the point.

And then there was this statement in the same posting:
[quote]
nothing has truly changed
[/quote]

At least for [b]me[/b] this is simply not true. And I know that I'm not the only one for whom it is not true that "nothing has truly changed".

END OF QUOTE ---

Meg said...

Torill, even though I know we've not gotten along, I'm sad to have read this. A lot of people, really good people who really love HP, have been royally screwed over by Leaky - both volunteers and members.

Too many friendships have been either lost or sorely tested since the LL opened, and that really bothers me because it's thanks to HP that I've met so many wonderful people. A love for these books shouldn't drive people apart. Ever.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised by anything you've said here about Melissa, Nick or Doris.

Anyway, I could get into all my gripes, but I won't. I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry this all happened and I'm glad you and others are speaking out.

We're all supposed to be fans of Harry Potter. The books should be the focus, not the egos of the people who run the fansites. *sigh*

I do hope getting this all out is helping you, and that you can continue the friendships you still have in the fandom.

Take care,

Meg

Torill said...

Thank you Meg. I really appreciated this honest, supportive word from you. I want you to know that it touched me deeply, you coming here and saying this.